Friday, January 13, 2012

Counting Pennies

I always heard the saying "Count your Pennies" from my Grandmother and I never thought anything about it. Now that I am in College I have really come to understand the meaning of "Count your pennies". My money situation is really tight. I have student loans, rent, bills, and my only source of extra income is babysitting from time to time and left over grant money. I have to watch every dime I spend. Being a student, it becomes very easy to spend a few bucks here and there and not think much of it, because you are only spending a little at a time. The problem is that you do not see the BIG picture. All those little amounts of money you spent at different times really add up.

EXAMPLE

Monday
-$2 -2 breakfast burritos from McDonalds
-$3-2 tacos and a drink from Taco bell for lunch
Tuesday
-$4- Starbucks coffee
-$1- quick snack from the vending machine
-$2- Mcdouble and drink from McDonald for dinner
Wednesday
-$6- In clearance items from target you didn't need, but what a great deal!
-$3- Stop at the Gas station and get a quick snack and drink
-$2- Redbull for a late night study session
Thursday
-$5 - movie with friends
-$4 - small dinner at cookout with friends after the movie
Friday
-$4- Another Starbucks pick me drink
-$3- 3 dollar menu Items from McDonalds


In 5 days you have just spent $39 just buying little things you did not need here and there. For most people this example adds up to much more!

"Counting your Pennies" means to step back and look at how you are spending your money. Where is all that little change going, how do you spend it, and how much does it really add up to?


No comments:

Post a Comment